Notice of intention to review the Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023 and prepare a new Clare County Development Plan 2022-2028
Closed for submissions
Submission deadline: Monday November 16, 2020
Pursuant to Section 11 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and Article 13B of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004, as amended, Clare County Council hereby gives notice that it intends to review the existing Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023 and to prepare a new Clare County Development Plan 2022-2028 for the functional area of Clare County Council.
The preparation of a new development plan shall be strategic in nature for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the development plan and the core strategy.
Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment
In compliance with the Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive (2001/42/EC) and pursuant to Article 13B of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 (S.I. No.436 of 2004), as amended, the Planning Authority will carry out a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) as part of the review of the existing Development Plan and the preparation of a new Development Plan. For this purpose, the Planning Authority will prepare an environmental report of the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the new Development Plan and the provisions of Articles 13C to 13J of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004, as amended, shall apply.
Pursuant to the requirements of Article 6 of the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) and Section 177U of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, a Stage One - Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening of the new Development Plan shall be carried out as part of the overall process and a Stage Two - Appropriate Assessment shall be carried out, if required.
Strategic Issues Paper
In order to stimulate debate and encourage participation regarding the review of the existing Clare County Development Plan 2017-2023 and the preparation of the new Clare County Development Plan 2022-2028, a Strategic Issues Paper and video has been prepared which identifies suggested planning issues that the new Clare County Development Plan could address. A copy of the Strategic Issues Paper and video can be viewed here or are also available to view between normal working hours, subject to public health advice, from Friday 18th of September 2020 to Monday 16th of November 2020 (both dates inclusive) at the following locations:
- Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis.
- Shannon Municipal District Office, Town Hall, Shannon.
- West Clare Municipal District Office, Town Hall, The Square, Kilrush.
- Ennistymon Area Office, Ennis Road, Ennistymon.
- Killaloe Municipal District Office, Mountshannon Road, Scarriff.
And at all public libraries in County Clare during opening hours.
In addition public consultation and engagement events will take place during the consultation period, taking account of public health guidance arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. It is intended to hold an informal public workshop in Clare County Council, Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis, Co Clare V95 DXP2 on Thursday 1st of October 2020 from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. by appointment only, subject to public health guidance. Further details and booking arrangements will be made available nearer the date.
Clare County Council hereby invites any interested parties to make submissions or observations with regard to the review of the existing Clare County Development Plan 2017–2023 and the preparation of the new Clare County Development Plan 2022–2028 including the SEA and AA process. Submissions/observations may be made during the period from 18September 2020 to 4:00 p.m. on 16th of November 2020 inclusive.
In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Submissions/observations should include your name and may include address, a map (for identification purposes) and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc., which you represent.
- Submissions/observations regarding objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of County Clare may be made in writing within the specified period. Submissions/observations at this stage of the overall Plan-making process should be strategic in nature and focus on ‘big picture’ issues.
- Children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are particularly encouraged to make submissions or observations regarding the foregoing.
- As the overall Plan-making process advances the Planning Authority intends to review the zoning of the area of the Development Plan, for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of (i) the area of the Development Plan, and (ii) the Core Strategy. Requests or proposals for the zoning of particular land for any purpose cannot be considered at this Pre-Draft stage of the County Development Plan. These matters will be considered during the Draft Plan stage of the overall process in 2021.
- Please be advised that all submissions received will be published online in accordance with the requirements of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and will be summarised in the Chief Executive’s Report, which will be published. You should ensure that no vexatious, libellous or confidential information, including confidential information relating to a third party (in respect of which the third party has not, expressly, or impliedly in the circumstances, consented to its disclosure) is included in your submission. The Planning Authority reserves the right to redact any submission or part thereof that does not comply with this requirement. Please be advised that the submission will be published in full;
- Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or via email. This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers and will streamline the process.
A submission/observation can be submitted by one of the following methods:
- In writing to: Development Plan Review, Planning Department, Clare County Council, New Road, Ennis, Co Clare. V95 DXP2
- By email to: email@example.com . Subject headline should read “Development Plan Review”
Deadline for receipt of submissions/observations
The deadline for receipt of submissions/observations is 4:00 p.m. on Monday 16th November 2020. Please note late submissions will not be considered.
If you have any queries or require more detail, please contact the Forward Planning Section by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 065-6846451.
Page last updated: 18/09/20Back to top